Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky




This book was the first book that I've read written by Stephen Chbosky. I must say the book was fun and easy to read for it's like a diary. Actually, it was a  collection of letters written by Charlie to an anonymous friend.


I think Stephen Chbosky wanted to make the reader feel as if he/she was the one who received those letters from Charlie. As for me, he succeeded in that. For he managed to introduced Charlie to me step by step and made me know his character.


The book was a about a boy named Charlie who's entering high school without his best friend who committed suicide. And his adventures through all the life of a teenager.


It explores a wide variety of teenage realities such as rape, drugs, drinking, suicide, sex and homosexuality. 


As I read the book, I didn't notice that I was close to finishing it for it had a lot of story and things going on. 


I specifically wanted to know more about what would happen between Charlie and Sam. And see what will happen to everyone in Charlie's life, like for example to his sister.


I expected a lot from this book since it is now a being turn into a movie. But in the end it was just a 3 star for me. I think the book was flawed due to the lack of exploration through the flow of story. And the book had layers that you really have to peel off in order for you to understand its story and intention.


But I enjoyed the fact that it's an epistolary novel. Well, I don't really liked reading a novel that looks like a diary but it worked for me with this one. 


As for the character, I found Sam to be a very interesting and exquisite character. And as for her brother Patrick, his story line was unexpected. Well, I had hints of him being a homosexual but it was totally unexpected who his partner was.


And the book gave me the feeling that I was there when it all happened and that I was a part of Charlie's adventures. 


As for Charlie, Chbosky made me think he's this shy wallflower but in truth there is more to him than being that.


I really liked how Chbosky managed to explore the pressing problems that the teenagers are facing. And how he managed to show his intention for Charlie's character in the end.


I would recommend this book as a good read for it was full of fascinating scenarios. The book was a little flawed. Maybe because in the end you will have too many questions and will ask for more than what the book could give. 


I really did enjoy the book enough that made me read it for only two and a half hours. The book had some depth and emotional parts that affected me. Well, I must say I really did learn a lot of things through this book. I just didn't like the fact that it tried too hard to comment on many social issues with a very short outcome. Hence, I still look forward on how the movie would turn out.


YenPating18 © 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment