Wednesday, June 27, 2012

One Day by David Nicholls




This book is one of my favorites. It made me travel time with friends that I learned to love through each turn of the page.


David Nicholls showed great writing skills through his amazing work with how he manage to write from past to present. The story line of the characters was excellently written.


I read One Day for 3 days for it is quite long. But it was really a good thing since Nicholls made Emma and Dexter be my friend. He did not just introduced them to me but made me think that I am part of their friendship and love for each other.


Em and Dex, Dex and Em, are two very different people that had become the best of friends. Emma Morley, a witty, intelligent and liberal girl. Dexter Mayhew, a greedy and arrogant playboy.


Their story started after the graduation of Dex and Em in 1998 and continued for the next twenty years in every 15th of July which they refer to as St. Swithin's Day. 


Dex and Em's friendship through time showed how it can sometimes be for better and for worse. They've had fights, arguments and how Em couldn't take Dex's irritating habits and selfishness anymore. But their friendship developed into something more than what friendship is, they've provided each other a family and a companion who knows them really well, who can see the real them through all the posturing and who can be prank when they are lying or being ridiculous.


I would describe the novel as an intimidatory tale; an image of how we often fail to know what really love is, on how we mistreat and fail to nurture it. An alarming way to present on how we never let ourselves act from the heart and just feel free to go with the flow. 


The story line of these two amazing people was really unexpected and daring. And I wouldn't want to speak more of Dex and Em's story for I don't want to take away from you the experience of getting to know them through David Nicholls amazing book.


I recommend this book for all those who want to be in a journey of friendship and love. Two thumbs up for this one. I agree that this one is bound to be one of the MODERN CLASSICS. 


YenPating18 © 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment